On Jan 26, 2011, at 9:21 AM,  David DelMonte wrote:

> Hi all, I am trying to develop a core data model to meet a language grammar.
>
> In this grammar, there are verbs, tenses and persons. (There are also voices
> - but my brain cannot hear them right now:) )..
>
> One scenario is to have the verbs and tense names in a single entity.
> However, this would require that each tense name is bound to a specific
> person entity.
>
> Another scenario is to have the Verb and Persons Entities use the tense name
> entity only as a lookup table.

Don't know what you mean by "lookup table", but I would approach it with a
verb, tense, and person entities, with a "linker" table. This is an RDBMS
technique--in Core Data terms, you would have an entity without any properties
but with to-one relationships with all three (verb, tense, person) thereby
allowing any combination of the three to exist without having redundant data.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.