Hi all,

I've got an intermittent crash which occurs when adding an NSString to an
NSTextView in my app's main window.  I very rarely experience the crash myself,
but a relatively high number of users have reported it to me.

It finally happened to me while running the app from Xcode tonight, so I've got
a chance to debug it, but I can't see what's going wrong.

The debugger console says:

Program received signal:  “EXC_BAD_ACCESS”.

Here's how the stack looks:
_NSLayoutTreeMoveToGlyphIndex
_NSLayoutTreeLineFragmentRectForGlyphAtIndex
-[NSLayoutManager(NSPrivate) _recalculateUsageForTextContainerAtIndex:]
-[NSLayoutManager textStorage:edited:range:changeInLength:invalidatedRange:]
-[NSTextStorage _notifyEdited:range:changeInLength:invalidatedRange:]
-[NSTextStorage processEditing]
-[NSTextStorage endEditing]
-[AppController appendToConsole:]

Here's the relevant piece of code which is pretty much straight from Apple's
sample code:
-(void) appendToConsole:(NSString *)newText{
        NSRange endRange;
        endRange.location = [[consoleTextView textStorage] length];
        endRange.length = 0;
        [consoleTextView replaceCharactersInRange:endRange withString:newText];
/**/ crashes here
        endRange.length = [newText length];
        [consoleTextView scrollRangeToVisible:endRange];
}

The consoleTextView is defined in my header file as IBOutlet NSTextView
*consoleTextView and I make no attempts to alloc/release/retain it anywhere in
the application.

Printing the 'newText' object in the debugger console prints out the text I'm
expecting to see (which in this case is just a carriage return), so I'm
confident that's not where the problem lies.  Possibly relevant is that the
text from the previous call to this method hadn't yet appeared in the
NSTextView before the crash happened.

Does anyone have any ideas what the cause might be?

I've got other stuff to work on, so I'm going to leave it running/paused in the
debugger in case anyone's got any questions or any suggestions I can try which
might point me in the right direction - I'm not sure when I'll be able to get
it back into this state!

Many thanks
Mark