On 2011 Feb 06, at 07:44, Charles Srstka wrote:

> Object Allocations, with “Record Reference Counts” checked, will let you
> choose an object and show exactly where and when it was allocated,
> deallocated, retained, released, and even autoreleased. If you open the
> Extended Detail pane, you can get a full stack trace for each one of these
> occurrences, and you can double-click one of those frames to have it display
> the source file inline right in Instruments with the line at which the object
> was released, retained, etc. highlighted.

Thank you, Charles.  I've filed that advice away and hope that I never need to
use it.

I've had mostly negative experiences with Object Allocations – execution
slowing to a crawl, consuming memory until, it can't get any more, then
crashing.  Your description of all it does kind of explains why.  In contrast,
my brute force method only logs for one class.

But maybe since I have a big 64-bit Mac now with whoopee 4 GB of RAM, it will
work better.