On Feb 9, 2011, at 08:52, Michael Hanna wrote:

> In stage 1, the progress bar won't animate as indeterminate("barber
> pole") unless I set -usesThreadedAnimation:YES. After the CALayer
> backed view animates in stage 2, the progress bar never animates
> indeterminately in stage 5.

'usesThreadedAnimation:YES' isn't what causes progress bars to animate, it just
affects the smoothness of the animation. Typically, the animation occurs in
response to a *repeated* series of activities, which are either:

1. Requesting an event from the main event loop.

2. Calling a progress method such as 'setDoubleValue:'.

It varies between progress bar styles which of these things works, but
processing the main event loop is the most reliable method of keeping progress
bars animating. I'm guessing that your code that executes while the progress
bar is indeterminate is something compute-intensive that doesn't process
events. You can *try* calling 'setDoubleValue:' from time to time, but you
might have to rearrange your code so that it processes events.

Alternatively, use the circular indeterminate style for the first and last
processing stages. It always (IIRC) animates properly, no matter what you do.