in apple documentation, they are talking about  cancel & isCancelled method
the fact is texto : "cancelling an operation does not immediately force it to
stop what it is doing"

so why not add another method , it's goal : verify the availability to iterate
the queue inside the nsoperation and the result can be a array of information
about index effectively done and so on .... or why not produce a dictionary
contains all the information why you want absolutely the operation to cancel...
so i hope not be out of your initial question, but my goal was to preserve MVC
code design ( a controller object versus model object ).