Please forgive me since I'm a Cocoa newbie (having programmed in about a dozen
programming languages on many computer architectures -- this hints at my age!),
but I can't find an answer to what I think should be a simple question via the
Apple documentation, multiple Cocoa books, or web search engines.

I'm working on an application that takes medical test data and outputs
diagnostic data. My application's window contains several controls and labels
to enter numeric data and display the results of the calculations.  It also
contains a custom NSView that will present a graphical representation of the
data.  At present, the model and the window are interconnected by one
controller. The model object is instantiated in the awakeFromNib: method of the
controller.  However, the controller class will get huge when the graphics code
is added.

I'd like to split up the controller class into more manageable parts.  I'm
hoping to have one controller for the graphics NSView alone and another for
everything else in the window. Both controllers would need access to the same
model. What is the best way to accomplish this?

1. Where should I instantiate and later dealloc the model object?

2. How do I get both controllers to reference this single model without
creating coupling between the controllers?

3. When should the reference to the model be set up in each controller?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott Steinman