That is indeed incredibly lame of the very weak Services API structure, but the only way to do it today.

We can only hope that many bug reports (bugreporter.apple.com !!) will help Apple to massively improve these context menus soon to bring them back to the usefulness of the Carbon time.

I did file an enhancement bug two years ago, please do so as well.

So I gather that now that the new 64-bit Finder doesn't support the old CM plugin API, the only way to add commands to the Finder's contextual menus is with the services API. The problem I'm having with doing it as a service is that the commands I want to add should only apply to files in certain locations, and it looks like I can only filter by file type. Is there no way to filter by location too?

It looks pretty lame to have to let the commands always appear, and then tell the user afterwards, "No, sorry, you can't really do this to that file."

--
David Catmull
uncom...@uncommonplace.com

--