On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Mr. Gecko wrote:

> eventType.eventClass = kEventClassWindow;
> eventType.eventKind = kEventWindowCollapsing;
>
> I would expect this to work as it works for keyboard and mouse events.

From CarbonEvents.h:

/*
 *  GetEventMonitorTarget()
 *
 *    Currently, the event monitor supports the following event kinds:
 *    kEventRawKeyDown, kEventRawKeyUp, kEventRawKeyRepeat,
 *    kEventRawKeyModifiersChanged, kEventMouseDown, kEventMouseUp,
 *    kEventMouseMoved, kEventMouseDragged, kEventMouseWheelMoved,
 *    kEventTabletPoint, and kEventTabletProximity.

The event monitor target does not support window-class events. It is not
possible to install a Carbon event handler on the event target for a window of
another process.

The only supported way to detect window events in other processes is to use the
accessibility API. In this case, you'd want to use some of these notifications:

kAXWindowMiniaturizedNotification
kAXWindowDeminiaturizedNotification

and kAXUIElementDestroyedNotification for detecting when a window closes.

-eric