I am looking at the performance of my code, and have found that rather a lot of
time is spent in [NSBitmapImageRep getBitmapDataPlanes]. This is rather
disappointing because I had assumed this was a 'trivial' way of getting a
pointer to the actual data store itself in the case of raster data.
Investigation using shark appears to confirm that the call is making a copy of
the data(?). Can anyone shed any light on what is going on and whether I can do
anything about it?

The sequence I'm using (hope I haven't missed anything out) is:

NSImage *theImage = [[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:fileName];
NSObject *imageRepresentation = [[image representations]
objectAtIndex:imgRepresentationIndex];
bmp = (NSBitmapImageRep*)imageRepresentation;
const unsigned char *srcData = [bmp bitmapData];

The file is in fact a TIFF file, so it does contain raster data. Am I going
about this the wrong way as a means of getting at the raw pixels stored in a
file? Thanks for any suggestions.