I'm finally trying to do my first CoreData migration using the "new"
style 10.5 built-in migration tools. I'd abandoned my ad-hoc Tiger one
a while back and finally needed to migrate.

I'm building on Snow Leopard, and bugs and glitches aside (such as the
workaround for migration for Leopard deployment built on Snow
Leopard), it's mostly working. But what it boils down to is when I
deploy it on Leopard, the migration is correctly performed, but then
the app insists upon re-opening the foo~.ext file (the backup with the
tilde) instead of the actual upgraded data file itself. The simple
solution is just to shut the doc w/o saving, then re-open it. All
problems solved when I do that, but I don't really want to ask my
users to do it.

It behaves just fine on Snow Leopard.

I found some old posts referencing the issue, such as:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2009/Nov/msg01431.html

But no functional solutions. I tried implementing mmalc's custom
NSDocumentController subclass, but the issue persisted. So I dropped
it out and left just the standard modification to
configurePersistentStoreCoordinatorForURL: to turn on
forKey:NSMigratePersistentStoresAutomaticallyOption.

Sometimes the ~ pops up in the title bar, sometimes it doesn't. The
doc is never actually save-able.

Did anyone ever discover a viable solution?

-Jim....