Thanks for responding, but I think the answer is no.

It works like this: system volume stands in front of every sound output (except
the ringer). If SysVol is set to 0, no output will be heard. Nothing in Core
Audio can override that. If I am wrong I would love to hear about it, but that
is my understanding.

It's an interface decision, no app should be able to override the user's
setting. The user can use Settings or the external buttons. In addition, the OS
provides MPVolumeView for use within an app.

I can use that, but I have a specific idea of how I want it to look and work.
Since MPVolumeView inherits from UIView, I can intercept some methods and bend
them to my will, but the OS doesn't give me access to the control-like elements
of MPVolumeView. I want it to behave like a slider, but I want it to jump to
the setting I touch rather than requiring me to "capture" the button before I
can move it.

David