Hi Corbin

Long time no speak!! The last time we met in person, was when Borland paid for
us (TeamB) to come out to Scotts Valley.

> Delphi developers may not have heard of it, but they do it by accident. They
> place all of their controller code in a TForm subclass; rarely do they do
> something in the TForm subclass that actually modifies what a standard TForm
> does. Instead, the subclass exists only as controller code for the form (aka:
> the "view"). They typically do have the model somewhere else (ie:
> TDataModule), and interact with it in the Form subclass. Indirectly, they do
> Model View Controller by the way Delphi is designed.

Yeh, definitely more by accident than design :-)

The problem with this particular "Delphiite" is that they think it is good
separation to add strings to list view, which is definitely not part of the
"controller", nor the model.

> NSTableView is not like a Win32 Listcontrol, which is what Delphi's
> TTreeView/TListView is based off of. It is more like TVirtualTreeView, where
> the content is always queried, instead of placed inside.

Absolutely. But what this particular person seems to see is that it is more
work to have to declare the data in the controller before hooking up the UI to
it ??!!

> A good Delphi -> AppKit tutorial would probably be showing people how to hook
> up the File's Owner, add outlets, add actions, and the hook them up in IB.
> All those things you basically got for "free" in Delphi by dropping down a
> component and double clicking on it.

Yes, I've already done that in presentations and articles for the UK Developers
Group.

> --corbin
> (known in the Delphi world about 6 years ago)

I bet you're glad you're not there any more ;-)

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter
Carter Consulting