> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 18:29:23 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jon Sigman <rf_...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Setting a delegate on a UITextField
> To: Cocoa Developers <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
>
> Okay, part II:
>
> Is there a way to allow only a certain number of characters in a UITextField?
> Should this be done in the -textFieldDidEndEditing delegate callback, with an
> alert to the user, or just truncating the field, or ...?
>
> -Jon
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 18:51:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: Dianne <pinkpoppy_sandia...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Setting a delegate on a UITextField
> To: Jon Sigman <rf_...@yahoo.com>, Cocoa Developers
>       <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
>
> there is, you need to use a formatter for that, you can even set the allowed
> characters to be inputted to the textfield.
> check NSFormatter if it is of any help, you can also extend the class to
> adjust
> to your needs.

Hmm, interesting, I didn't think of that. I remember in some earlier code I did
something like so, using a notification... just as an example in some iOS app:

- (void)textFieldTextDidChange:(NSNotification*)aNotification {

        NSInteger remaining = [[aNotification.object text] length];

        if (remaining < self.minLength) {
                self.tableView.tableFooterView.hidden = NO;
                [self.headerLabel setText:[NSString
stringWithFormat:NSLocalizedString(@"Remaining characters required: %d", nil),

(self.minLength - remaining)]];
                self.navigationItem.rightBarButtonItem.enabled = NO;

        } else {
                self.tableView.tableFooterView.hidden = YES;
                self.navigationItem.rightBarButtonItem.enabled = YES;