On 07/03/2011, at 11:47 PM, Jonathan Taylor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have another UI type question where I am not sure how best to achieve what
> I want. I have a (non-modal) window in which the user interacts with external
> peripherals. Under certain circumstances (such as the peripheral not being
> turned on) it is not possible to send commands to the device. I thought that
> a window-modal sheet might be a neat way of representing that:
> www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.taylor/sheet.png
>
> However, this sort of use of a sheet, window-modal in the sense that it
> prevents interaction with that window, but non-showstopping in the sense that
> it shouldn't prevent closing the parent window or quitting, seems to be hard.
> I have found some mention of these issues in the archives and elsewhere, and
> as far as I can tell:
> - sheets are not really designed to work this way
> - it is possible to allow quitting, for example manually closing the sheets
> from within -terminate.
> - it seems to be impossible to keep the close buttons enabled on the
> underlying window (apparently "the underlying window is no longer first
> responder"... although true, that in itself should not preclude the close
> button from working unless I'm missing something).
>
> So - is there any way of keeping the close button operational, and/or can
> anybody suggest a more appropriate way of achieving the sort of interface
> effect I'm after here? I thought the sheet mechanism was a rather apt way of
> doing what I want, but it is evidently not a use that has been foreseen in
> the design...

I'd say you're trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, and attempting to
subvert the sheet behaviour isn't going to be fruitful for you or your users.

Instead why not open a hidden section in the window itself that displays the
operational aspects of what's happening - or why even make it hidden? -  so you
have your input parameters in the upper section and the operational 'results'
(perhaps including the progress bar, cancel button, error or progress message,
and what-have-you) in the lower section. K.I.S.S.

--Graham