On Mar 14, 2011, at 5:40 PM, Conrad Shultz wrote:

> No problem, happy to help, even if you independently found the solution.
>
> As for begin/endUpdates, what these do is synchronize animations that
> otherwise might be performed serially.  If you are updating a single row
> there is no reason, AFAIK, to wrap the reload message.
>
> If you are updating multiple rows (which I don't do, so this is somewhat
> speculative... a test program should be pretty easy to write), wrapping
> the reload message with begin/endUpdates will ensure that all the rows
> animate simultaneously.
>
> What I am unsure on is whether you need to do this if you include all
> the row changes in the NSArray you pass to reloadRowsAtIndexPaths.
> Cocoa might take care of synchronizing all animations therein for you,
> but I'm not sure.

Sounds like a good exercise to write a test app to try it. I'll try and explore
that issue when I find a bit more time. Meanwhile, I'll just do what I need
without the beginUpdates/endUpdates calls since I, too, only need to animate
one row at a time.

>  Certainly if you need to perform other operations
> (e.g. adding/deleting cells) you will need to wrap the whole block as
> indicated in the documentation.
>
> A thorough discussion of these matters is available in the Table View
> Programming Guide for iOS:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/TableView_iPhone/ManageInsertDeleteRow/ManageInsertDeleteRow.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007451-CH10-SW9

Yes, I've read the table view docs but I'll admit that the last time I did it
was some time ago and now I was pressed for time so I skipped the docs at this
time. Not a good excuse, I know. :)

Thanks again for your help.