On Mar 19, 2011, at 5:41 AM, Markus Spoettl wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Markus Spoettl wrote:
>> In my document based application, when started (by clicking on the dock icon
>> or otherwise), the icon's startup bounce motion interrupts near the top of
>> the animation, stays there for around 0.3 - 0.5 seconds and then the icon
>> drops to the base position instantly.
>
> OK, shortly after clicking send I had an idea how to figure out what it might
> be caused by, and now I got closer: I have a layer hosting view in my
> document window, the view is layer hosting is switched on in -awakeFromNib
>
> - (void)awakeFromNib
> {
>   [self setLayer:scopeLayer];
>   [self setWantsLayer:YES];
> }
>
> scopeLayer is created and set up in the view's -initWithFrame:. This is
> causing the bounce-pause. When I remove these lines, bouncing works. Of
> course my view doesn't.
>
> Now it gets really interesting: I've found that switching off "Automatic
> graphics switching" in the Energy Saver Preferences gets rid of the issue. So
> making the view layer hosting switches the graphics mode to the dedicated
> hardware. Why I don't know, it happens regardless of what the layer really is
> setup with, even if it never gets any content.
>
> Is that a hardware issue then? Can someone recreate this on their hardware?

No, it's a software thing. If you turn on CoreAnimation on one of the dual-GPU
Macs, and graphics switching is turned on, and the Mac isn't plugged into a
monitor, then the Mac will always auto-switch to the discrete GPU because
CoreAnimation always uses the discrete GPU. The same is true for initializing
an NSOpenGLView. This is normal and not an issue, unless your app turns on
CoreAnimation but doesn't actually use it.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>