Brad Stone wrote:

On Mar 19, 2011, at 11:04 PM, Brad Stone wrote:

I do need it to work for any app, not just Word or XL.

I guess a poor workaround would be since it's not possible to reliably check if
the file is open>
I can force the user to quit the file's default app before allowing them to
encrypt. It's just kind of heavy-handed.
After sleeping on it my choices are to remove the encryption feature or make a
big ugly dialog box warning the user if they encrypt a file that's open they
will lose their changes. Neither of these approaches are optimum.

And yet either of them are better than the prior idea. Forcing the user to
close the PDF and 2 JPGs they have open in Preview so they can use your
application to process a PNG (that's open in GraphicConverter) is not only
heavy-handed, but doesn't actually provide any benefit to you. Go with the
warning; I think users will be able to cope with the fact that changes they
save after using your app aren't going to be reflected in your app's output.