On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:20:31 -0700, Lou Zell <lzel...@gmail.com> said:
>I have a subclass of UIButton, call it MyButton, that I would like to
>function as a vanilla UIButton but also pass touch events to the next
>responder (I'm interested in eventually getting the events in
>UIViewController).  I can do something like this in MyButton:
>
>-(void)touchesBegan:(NSSet *)touches withEvent:(UIEvent *)event
>{
>  [[self nextResponder] touchesBegan:touches withEvent:event];
>}

Don't do that. The way to pass touches up the responder chain is by calling
super. This will do exactly what you're after, I think.

However, as already implied, you might be better off with a different
architecture. It isn't at all clear why you'd do what you're describing. Let
the button act as a button. If you need further information about what's going
on, consider a gesture recognizer, perhaps, or just use the button's control
events. In any case there should be no need to interfere at the very low level
of the touches... responder methods. There are *many* ways to interfere with
aspects of touch delivery; they are quite interesting, but be careful or you'll
break something.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, <http://www.apeth.net/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!