John Pannell <mailto:j...@positivespinmedia.com> wrote (Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:18 PM -0600):

Don't know if this fits your objectives, but I found an excellent layer-based
solution to this: YRKSpinningProgressIndicator

https://github.com/kelan/yrk-spinning-progress-indicator-layer

John, thanks for the tip and the link. I looked at YRKSpinningProgressIndicator and it's certainly, well, er, elaborate! But it's gratuitous use of sublayers is way more resource intensive that I was hoping for. My application could, potentially, end up putting dozens of these progress spinners on the screen at once. YRKSpinningProgressIndicator would then create hundreds and hundreds of little tiny sublayers, one for each "spoke". Past experience has shown that CA starts to creak under that much load.

So I'm going with plan B, which is create a custom CALayer that draws a single spinner "wheel" image and then rotate it using a key-frame animation.
--
James Bucanek