On Apr 8, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Michael Diehr wrote:

> I'm building a .saver file -- in 3.2.5 I was able to build a universal .saver
> file that worked on 10.4 (PPC), 10.5-10.6 (PPC, 32 bit Intel, and 64 bit
> Intel).
>
> I have the exact same issue: updated XCode to 3.2.6 and now I can't build PPC
> any longer.
>
> I've changed my build settings to be explicit about ppc, and yet when I clean
> and build, file (and lipo -info) both report only the 32 and 64 bit Intel
> code.
>
> When I look at my .pbxproj file in a text editor I see something weird.   It
> looks as if I have two copies of the settings, one under a list called
>
>  Build configuration list for PBXProject "MySaver" (this one looks right)
> and one called
>  Build configuration list for PBXNativeTarget "MySaver"  (this one looks
> wrong)
>
> These reference the build settings by ID -- and one of the build settings
> looks correct:
>
>               EF7AD73308BB986600CE4634 /* Release */ = {
>                       isa = XCBuildConfiguration;
>                       buildSettings = {
>                               ARCHS = (
>                                       i386,
>                                       x86_64,
>                                       ppc,
>                                       ppc64,
>                                       ppc7400,
>                                       ppc970,
>                               );
>                               "GCC_ENABLE_OBJC_GC[arch=x86_64]" = supported;
>                               "GCC_FAST_OBJC_DISPATCH[arch=ppc]" = NO;
>                               GCC_VERSION = 4.2;
>                               "GCC_VERSION[sdk=macosx10.4][arch=*]" = 4.0;
>                               GCC_WARN_64_TO_32_BIT_CONVERSION = YES;
>                               GCC_WARN_ABOUT_RETURN_TYPE = YES;
>                               GCC_WARN_TYPECHECK_CALLS_TO_PRINTF = YES;
>                               GCC_WARN_UNUSED_VARIABLE = YES;
>                               ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH = NO;
>                               PREBINDING = NO;
>                               SDKROOT = "";
>                               "SDKROOT[arch=i386]" = macosx10.4;
>                               "SDKROOT[arch=ppc]" = macosx10.4;
>                               "SDKROOT[arch=x86_64]" = "";
>                               VALID_ARCHS = "i386 x86_64 ppc ppc64 ppc7400
> ppc970";
>                       };
>                       name = Release;
>

> e.g. it includes ppc.
>
> The other build settings is not:
>
>               EF7AD72F08BB986600CE4634 /* Release */ = {
>                       isa = XCBuildConfiguration;
>                       buildSettings = {
>                               ARCHS = "$(ARCHS_STANDARD_32_64_BIT)";
>                               GCC_GENERATE_DEBUGGING_SYMBOLS = NO;
>                               GCC_MODEL_TUNING = G5;
>                               GCC_PRECOMPILE_PREFIX_HEADER = YES;
>                               GCC_PREFIX_HEADER = iScreensaver_Prefix.pch;
>                               INFOPLIST_FILE = Info.plist;
>                               INSTALL_PATH = "$(HOME)/Library/Screen Savers";
>                               ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH = NO;
>                               PRODUCT_NAME = iScreensaver;
>                               VALID_ARCHS = "x86_64 i386 ppc ppc64 ppc7400
> ppc970";
>                               WRAPPER_EXTENSION = saver;
>                       };
>                       name = Release;
>
> Is this perhaps an XCode bug?

No.

> Any ideas what to do here?  What's the difference between PBXNativeTarget and
> PBXProject?

Projects and targets can have different configuration settings. Settings
assigned to the target apply only to that target, while settings assigned to
the project apply to all targets in the project unless they are overridden. You
have the Release settings correct for the project, but not for the target, and
the target overrides the project.

Also, there is no reason to disable the accelerated dispatch unless you are
still targeting Panther users. And there aren't that many of them that are
still around & downloading new software.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>