Stephen,

thanks to your detailed answer. This absolutely explains the observed behavior,
but still leaves me wondering about the feature of sending messages to id.
While I am still new to programming in objective-c and only having read the
basic language documentation, I remember this feature to be pointed out as a
helpful tool. But after this discovery, I can only mark it as a "don't use"
language feature.

Regards,
 Philipp