On Apr 11, 2011, at 11:44 AM, John Michael Zorko wrote:

> I'm currently using Core Animation to show a 3D rotatable cube with videos
> (or other content) on each side, so each side of the cube is an
> AVPlayerLayer. What i've read so far seems to say that a special subclass of
> CALayer (CAEGLayer) is required for OpenGL to interface with it i.e. if I
> wanted to use OpenGL to make a 3D rotating sphere of many AVPlayerLayers (or
> as many as an iPad 2 can handle, anyway), is this possible since
> AVPlayerLayer doesn't derive from CAEGLayer?

CAEAGLLayers are required to render OpenGL content to a CALayer yes. In order
to render to a sphere, you would likely require the ability to render movie
frames to a texture, then apply that texture to your sphere. I don't recall if
AVFoundation provides support for getting texture data (I think it does, but I
haven't used it well enough to know for certain)

Basically a CAEAGLLayer is a cross-over point from Core Animation to OpenGL.
Other Core Animation content doesn't interact with the content of a CAEAGLLayer
anymore than the content of any single CALayer interacts with the content of
any other.
--
David Duncan