On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Below is the rabbit hole I went down trying to play a Movie. I would
> give my left arm for a return code right about now. With a error code,
> I could search for "MPMoviePlayerController play error 0xXXXXX" and
> probably get dozens of questions/answers pertinent to my situation.

I don't know what it is about Apple's documentation, but something
about it trips everyone up when they first get to the platform. I'm
certainly among that crowd. It's not that things aren't sufficiently
documented; usually they are, with certain notable exceptions like
Core Audio. Maybe it's that you really do need to be willing to make
plenty of clicks in order to understand small facets of the thing
you're looking at. On top of that, you really do need to understand
the whole of a class before you can proficiently work with it. Just
encountering methods that sound like they do the right thing rarely
works; there's usually some required supporting infrastructure.

Sorry this has frustrated you. But eventually everything starts making
perfect sense. The Mac and iOS platforms really are some of the
best-designed and most developer-friendly APIs in existence.

--Kyle Sluder