On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:38, Mike Abdullah wrote:

> On 14 Apr 2011, at 19:26, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:18, Fritz Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> On 14 Apr 2011, at 12:51 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>>
>> Is it normal that NSFileManager's isDeletableFileAtPath: returns YES for a
>> locked file? Based on the result it returns, when I try to send it a
>> removeItemAtPath:error:, it fails and the error localized description is
>> '“This is a test.docx” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission
>> to access it.'. That seems wrong to me. First, isDeletableFileAtPath:
>> shouldn't return YES for a locked file.
>>
>> Not a big problem. I can check if it's writable at path and if it's not,
>> then I know the delete won't work but I was wondering if this was the
>> expected behavior for NSFileManager isDeletableFileAtPath: ...
>
> In general, Apple recommends that you go ahead and attempt an operation,
> handling any failure, rather than try to see if it will succeed ahead of
> time. For many operations/file systems/failures, it is not even possible to
> guess at the result without trying the op.

That's a good point, Mike. In my app, I want to provide file operation but try
to restrict them if they're going to fail. I still handle the failures in my
code but I feel it's a better user experience that they know in advance, for
example, that a file is locked and thus I won't be able to delete it or replace
it.

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin