On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Eli Bach <eba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
>> Format: ACV0 Media, 640x480, Millions, AAC (Protected), 2 channels, 44100 HZ
>
> I'm 90% sure that it's the "(Protected)" part that prevents it from playing
> in non-Apple created video players.
Thanks Eli. 0 hits for AAC (Protected) in the developer area [1]. I
suppose we are left to guess and conjecture.

Apple states the following in quite a few documents: "iPhone supports
the ability to play back video files directly from your application"
(no strings attached). Is MPMoviePlayerController (and
MPMoviePlayerViewController) considered non-Apple? Neither the
MPMoviePlayerController Class Reference [2], Using Video [3], nor
Audio & Video Coding How-To's [4] mentions anything about protected
content or DRM.

Jeff

[1] http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/search/?q=%22AAC+%28Protected%29%22
[2]