The view does not need to be key. It only needs to be in the key/main window
and the mouse cursor needs to be over the view.

I don't know why you are worried about mouse events. If you are performing a
gesture, then you will not get ouse events and the cursor will not move until
you complete the gesture. It sounds like you aren't actually performing any
known gestures. (Actually it sounds like you are trying to do a 1 finger
gesture a'la iOS.) Are you trying to perform the gestures in the manner
explained in the system preference pane?

-raleigh