I've seen an app that uses a stack of sheets in this fashion, and it's a
horrid, barely usable mess. It's a Microsoft app, though I forget exactly which
(and it may have been fixed, as this was quite some time ago).

The problem is that the user either has to remember the "path" that led them
through to the current sheet in order to make sense of all the sheets that
pop-up as the stack is retraced, or else they do not, and the result is just an
utter confusion of sheets coming and going.

My 2ยข worth is with the suggestion to think again.

--Graham