On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Simone Manganelli <s...@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm aware of the fact that Core Animation disables sub-pixel rendering for
> text when drawing to transparent backgrounds, so I've intentionally designed
> my CALayers so that they have opaque backgrounds.  Sub-pixel rendering is
> definitely active now that I've drawn an opaque color to the layer.  This
> doesn't seem to be the issue, especially because the Core Animation text
> appears *heavier* than the normal Quartz text, whereas it usually appears
> more wispy when sub-pixel rendering is off.

Subpixel AA will not be enabled unless you create your own
CGBitmapContext with
kCGImageAlphaPremultipliedFirst|kCGBitmapByteOrder32Host, draw your
layer contents into that, and set the resultant CGImage as the content
of your layer. http://lists.apple.com/archives/Cocoa-dev/2011/Jan/msg00149.html

--Kyle Sluder