I am two steps away from completing this project, except here we are
 taking inventory on 2M+ lbs of raw and finished goods, as well as
shipping/receiving etc... at the docs. The working prototype is siting
next to me, still needs a few tweaks like showing the completed shipping
 lines as green :)

Using an iTouch (with wireless), Linea Pro
(wraps the iTouch, you've seen them at Apple stores, this gives us an
extra layer of protection, and a much longer scan range), MySQL library
for ARM chips, there are instructions on how to compile.

It works Great!

CAUSION!!!
 MySQL is not something to leave open to a public network. Our
implementation is using a secured wireless connection INSIDE our
factory. If you are going to use the the public airways, I seriously
would consider creating a wrapper protocol on its own port for the
public side, that connects to the mysql database on the local server.