On Apr 28, 2011, at 04:28, Ben Golding wrote:

> In the window that's loaded from Face.xib, there's a custom view
> (SundialView) which needs to access the sundial instance variable in File's
> Owner.  I just don't seem to be able to control-drag in some order to hook
> them up and I think I should be able to.

You could control-drag to connect a controller *outlet* to a view.

You could control-drag to connect a control's *action* to a target.

But you're doing neither here. You don't need to. The code in your custom view
can simply access the controller property directly as '[[[self window]
windowController] sundial]'.

There are only a couple of gotchas in this.

First, make sure that the window controller's 'window' outlet is actually
connected to the window in the NIB.

Second, the view's access to the window's windowController property won't be
available until some point in the NIB loading process (specifically, not until
after the view is added to the window's view hierarchy). If you try to
reference the property too early, you'll get nil. 'viewDidMoveToWindow:' is a
good place to intervene if you want to know when the window controller is
available to the view.