On 2011 Apr 30, at 19:45, Jim Thomason wrote:

> Can I provide a service with optional input?
>
> I want the user to be able to call the service with a text string input, but
> it's also reasonable to call it w/o any input at all.

> Any ideas about how I can implement it?

Since no one else replied, I'm fairly confident in saying "No".  My reading of
the documentation is that the ill-named "Services" in Mac OS X are designed
very narrowly, for one purpose only: processing strings.

The only instance in which you can do anything else, without resorting to
hacks, is if the app you want to "serve" has an extension or plugin API, which
usually means a huge programming and maintenance effort.