On May 3, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Brad Stone wrote:

> Here's what I get when I QL a large file.
>
> proNotes(52698,0x1196fd000) malloc: reference count underflow for
> 0x201afc920, break on auto_refcount_underflow_error to debug. (17 times)
> proNotes(52698,0x1196fd000) malloc: resurrection error for object 0x201f0a380
> while assigning {conservative-block}[352](0x20189fc40)[304] =
> CFRunLoopSource[128](0x201f0a380)
> garbage pointer stored into reachable memory, break on
> auto_zone_resurrection_error to debug (13 times)
>

> Then crash.  What should I look for?  How should I approach debugging this?

Do this:

1. In your project, add an executable for /usr/bin/qlmanage
2. Give it an argument that points to a file that your importer handles, plus
any flags you need to pass to the task
3. If you haven't done so already, make a symbolic link pointing to your built
importer product, and place it where you normally place your QuickLook
generators (so it loads the built product instead of a copy of the built
product)
4. Make a symbolic breakpoint for auto_zone_resurrection_error
5. Build and debug

If you set up everything correctly, then Xcode's debugger will launch qlmanage,
which will load your plugin, and trigger the problem, and cause the debugger to
break. Good luck; debugging plugins isn't always easy.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>