On 08/05/2011, at 8:28 PM, Niran Bala wrote:

> How should I interpret this value?
>
> When I mute the Mic on my laptop, this value is -120

My GUESS (only) would be that this is the line level, which is logical, since
it couldn't possibly be actual sound pressure level, since the signal is
amplified through some unknown amplifier and speaker system before becoming
sound.

Decibels are only a relative measurement, there's not really any such thing as
a "decibel" as a physical quantity. You can express a relative measurement in
terms of decibels, or you can qualify the level against some reference standard
in decibels, for example 1dBm is 1mW of power, and the ear-splitting 120dB SPL
is referenced to a pressure of 20 micropascals rms.

You need to find in the documentation or ask what 0dB is considered to be in
this measurement system.

--Graham