(Putting this back on list for anyone else who is interested; see
additional exchange below.)

As for completing your understanding, this is presumably handled by
private API calls that shouldn't concern you.  (If you really want a
hint as to what might be going on under the hood, grep UIView.h for
'Controller'.)

But in summary: the frameworks are designed to enforce good design and
coding habits, and if you find yourself fighting against them then odds
are you should reconsider your design.

- --
Conrad Shultz

Synthetiq Solutions