On May 16, 2011, at 8:11 AM, Bill Cheeseman wrote:

> When I quit and relaunch the application, the animations sometimes don't run
> for the full specified duration when I hit the hot key. During any given run
> of the application, the animations either work correctly every time I hit the
> hot key, or they stop prematurely every time I hit the hot key.

Answering my own question: Although it's hard to be sure that a random problem
is really fixed, it appears that the solution was to stop creating Core
Animation layers in the view's -initWithFrame: method and instead create them
in the view's -awakeFromNib method. I was aware that the layer tree should not
be built (with -addSublayer) in -initWithFrame:, but none of the commentaries I
read suggested to me that you can't even create the layers in -initWithFrame:
and store them in iVars for later use.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name