On May 18, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Jeff Johnson
> <publicpost...@lapcatsoftware.com> wrote:
>> On May 17, 2011, at 9:37 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>>
>>> When the panel is summoned, I want the panel to remember the
>>> "document" window on whose toolbar item the user clicked, or none if
>>> the panel was summoned by the menu item. This is because I want to
>>> bring that window forward when I dismiss the panel, or if the menu
>>> item was used I will just bring the frontmost document window forward.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand why you want to mess with the window ordering.
>> When you dismiss the panel, the window that was previously front becomes
>> front again, no? Isn't that what the user expects?
>
> I meant "dismiss by clicking the OK button." So perhaps "confirm"
> would be a better choice.
>
> Basically, I want to support clicking the "Add Item" button in Window
> A, switching to Window B to look up some relevant information,
> entering the information into the New Item Panel, then clicking OK.
> That should create the new item in Window A's sidebar and bring Window
> A to the front.
>
> --Kyle Sluder

Wouldn't you want to tie a notification to the OK action rather than to the
window closing? I don't know if you have a Cancel too, but if so, you wouldn't
want that to bring the window forward.

It's kind of disappointing that nobody else has chimed in on this thread,
because it's a pretty fundamental Cocoa issue.

-Jeff