In your Xcode text window, hold down the option key and double click on
NSString.  You will be given the option of viewing an overview of the
class.  Click on the icon in the upper right side of the window that looks
like a book.  This will show you a view of the documentation for NSString.
 When looking at the documentation, click Command-F to do a search and
enter "const char *" or a substring of that until you find the answer you
want.

Read the exceptions being thrown.  Most likely it says something about
autorelease pools.  Do the same thing for the class it mentions that you
did for NSString, albeit leaving out the particular point of searching for
NSString.