Way back when, when XCode was almost! brand new, I printed out reams and reams
of paper which described, for example, how a NSDocument-based macOS app
happened.  For example, I learned to override:

-(BOOL)readFromURL:(NSURL *)absoluteURL ofType:(NSString *)typeName
error:(NSError **)outError
because this is part of initialization process before
-windowControllerDidLoadNib: is called.

I learned to override: -(NSString *)windowNibName to return the name of my nib.

I learned to override - (void)windowControllerDidLoadNib:(NSWindowController
*)aController
because for a new document/window, NSDocumentController's -newDocument: calls
us.
When an existing document is opened, (our overridden) -readFromURL: calls us.
If the document is already open, Cocoa activates it.

I actually read the tons of Apple docs that explained in detail the chain of
messages sent until the NSDocument window appeared.

Okay, what's the point?  This point is a question: where can I find the details
of who calls whom after main.m is run .. in the iOS word, what happens inside
UIApplicationMain.

John Love
Touch the Future! Teach!