On 30 May 2011, at 16:02, Graham Cox wrote:

> On 31/05/2011, at 12:03 AM, julius wrote:
>
>> has the potential to create problems if it skips one's mind
>
> Well, so does almost anything in life. Coding's no different.
>
>> Of course I find decision to have NSArray count return NSUInteger somewhat
>> curious precisely because it seems to me liable to lead to subtle errors in
>> cases where programmers might have forgotten that NSArray count returns etc.
>> etc.
>
> Designers can't be expected to anticipate and compensate for your bad memory.

Well actually I disagree.
I think human factors are very important especially in situations where the
tools in question need to facilitate clear expression of complex problems and
reduce the risk of untoward errors.

> The documentation states clearly what's what. It's up to you to take that on
> board. "Forgetting" is not a good reason to design something differently.

Yes but again human factors come into play.

> ...and write the rest of your code correctly. I'm not actually sure what
> you're trying to do with it.

What I am trying to do with my code is irrelevant to the question I asked as is
also the issue of whether or not I write good code.

>> I think the use of NSUInteger in this context is misguided.
>
> So file bugs against it. Good luck with that. I doubt you'll get much support
> from many programmers on this list however.
No. I am not going to do that.
All I had hoped was that someone on this list might illuminate the issue more
than has happened so far.

Julius

http://juliuspaintings.co.uk