Dear all,

I have a question about autoreleased data in Cocoa. According to the
documentation from Apple.com, developers need to design autorelease pools
when programming command-line, loop and threading. If in Cocoa without
threading, no autorelease pools are programmed explicitly since an
autorelease pool is created by Cocoa. Am i right? If so, autoreleased data
has a life cycle as long as the process? What is the difference between
implicit autoreleasing and memory leaking?

I got a problem related to autorelease pools. My program works in Cocoa
without NSThread developed by me. The method received data remotely and then
returned data outside. I autoreleased the data before they were returned.
However, it got exceptions sometimes. If I did NOT autorelease them,
everything ran well. Could you give me a hand on this? The code is as
follows.

I appreciate so much for your help!

Best regards,
Bing

- (NSString *) receiveMessage
{
        NSMutableString *receivedString;
        NSString *message;
        NSString *newReceivedString;
        [isConnectedLock lock];
        @try
        {
                if (isConnected)
                {
                        char buffer[Constants.WWW.BUFFER_SIZE];

                        // Receive remote data
                        ssize_t numBytesReceived = recv(destinationSocket,
buffer, Constants.WWW.BUFFER_SIZE, 0);
                        if (numBytesReceived <= 0)
                        {
                                return Constants.WWW.NO_RECEIVED_MESSAGE;
                        }
                        buffer[numBytesReceived] = '\0';

                        // Convert data to NSString locally
                        receivedString = [[NSMutableString alloc]
initWithBytes:buffer length:numBytesReceived encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];
                        message = [[NSString alloc]
initWithString:Constants.WWW.EMPTY_STRING];

                        // Since the data has specific formats, some simple
parsing jobs by delimiter are done as follows.

                        NSRange range = [receivedString
rangeOfString:Constants.WWW.DELIMITER];
                        if (range.location > 0 && range.location <
[receivedString length])
                        {
                                message = [receivedString
substringToIndex:range.location];

                                // Return data after parsing
                                return message;
                        }
                        else
                        {
                                // Receive remote data continually if the
receivedString is longer than expected
                                while (numBytesReceived > 0)
                                {
                                        NSAutoreleasePool *loopPool =
[[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

                                        // Receive data
                                        numBytesReceived =
recv(destinationSocket, buffer, Constants.WWW.BUFFER_SIZE, 0);
                                        if (numBytesReceived <= 0)
                                        {
                                                return
Constants.WWW.NO_RECEIVED_MESSAGE;
                                        }

                                        buffer[numBytesReceived] = '\0';
                                        newReceivedString = [[[NSString
alloc] initWithBytes:buffer length:numBytesReceived
encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding] autorelease];
                                        range = [receivedString
rangeOfString:Constants.WWW.DELIMITER];
                                        if (range.location > 0 &&
range.location < [receivedString length])
                                        {
                                                message = [receivedString
substringToIndex:range.location];

                                                // Return data after parsing
                                                return message;
                                        }
                                        [loopPool drain];
        @catch (NSException *e)
        {
                return Constants.WWW.NO_RECEIVED_MESSAGE;
        }
        @finally
        {
                [isConnectedLock unlock];

                // Before returning received data, autorelease them here.
                [receivedString autorelease];
                [message autorelease];