Thanks for all your answers, they make complete sense.

I have one more related question. I have developed a custom, stateful
WebServiceInterface object, which manages all connection requests made to an
XML-RPC server. Being stateful, I initialise this object when the app
launches and at the moment I store a pointer to it in a header file, which I
include in all view controllers. This allows me to make a request for data
from anywhere. In a similar way, I feel that storing a global pointer is not
best practise and can't help but think there is a more elegant way of doing
this. One option I have considered if storing/initialising the object in the
app delegate and then creating a utility method in the delegate that wraps
the object call. Is this the best solution or is there a design pattern I am
unaware of?

Many thanks!

--
Director, Bias Development Ltd.