This is indeed impossible to do generally.

If you have /specific/ apps in mind (rather than 'any application'), it might
be possible to tell this on an app-by-app basis at a higher level.

For example, for Safari, you could use Applescript to get the URLs of the open
windows:

tell application "Safari"
        get the URL of the document of every window
end tell

The way to do this will be different for every app - you'll need to work out
how to do it for each app separately.

Jamie.