Which bit can't you do? Are you having trouble opening the popover (in which
case you just want to call the code which would be called if you pressed the
button, just call it programatically) or are you having trouble figuring out
when your app is launched in portrait mode, which you could do by setting a
flag in one of the application methods to say you just launched, and checking
it when you get the viewDidAppear: call.