On Jun 9, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

> On further investigation, it seems as if the problem is not in the rendering
> of the text into the offscreen bitmap context, but the later scaling down of
> that image in a CALayer.
>
> On the Mac, when I set the layer's minificationFilter property to trilinear,
> that produces nice results, but on iOS, this filter *seems* not to be
> implemented, which may make sense. Is there a supported way to get smooth
> downsampling on iOS? If not I may be able to create the image such that no
> downsampling is needed, but that will be a lot more complicated than letting
> the layer handle it, so if possible, I want to avoid that.

This is a possibility, although to some degree this is likely due to
differences in the GPU (that is, I would expect that Core Animation is still
setting the proper flags, but the mobile GPU doesn't do as nice a job as the
one on your desktop machine).

It may make more sense to take this from a different angle, for example why do
you need a bitmap context in the first place and why does it need to be larger?
There may be better ways of handling this case.
--
David Duncan