On Jun 20, 2011, at 12:36 AM, James Merkel <jmerk...@mac.com> wrote:

> It turns out if I use setUsesThreadedAnimation:YES on the progress indicator,
> the bar indicator animates.
>
> The docs say this method sets a hint as to whether the receiver should
> implement animation of the progress indicator in a separate thread.  I guess
> the hint is taken and the animation is performed in a separate thread.

You still haven't addressed the question of whether you're blocking the main
thread.

According to your pseudocode, you are. This is very bad. The spinning beach
ball cursor will appear while your app is performing its "long processing," and
there will be no way for your app to receive any events from the user asking it
to cancel.

I look forward to the day when OS X automatically kills beachballing programs
after a certain time, a la iOS. Because then maybe iTunes will finally get
rewritten.