I'm attempting a "save as" [NSSavePanel savePanel] modal dialog from an NPAPI plugin compiled for x86_64 and running under Safari 5.0.5 on OSX 10.6.7.

Whenever the call to runModal completes Safari ends up in a wedged state in which none of menu pull downs are accessible (all greyed out) and the only way to exit is to force a quit. I don't fully understand the structure of a modal window but in the wedged state it appears as though there's still a modal window open and expecting input even though it's not visible.

I've read some comments on this list that suggest that that creating windows from the WebkitPluginHost process is discouraged (http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2010/Jun/msg00868.html) but does this really apply to the simple Cocoa/modal dialogs like NSSavePanel and NSOpenPanel?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin