I've noticed that Mac OS sometimes silently changes the UNIX mount name of
network volumes. For example, if I mount a network volume of Media, it would
normally be /Volumes/Media, but sometimes it isn't. For example, if another
user
on the same machine mounts Media first, then you might end up having it mounted
as /Volumes/Media-1 or some such.

Is there any document that discusses it? And what is the recommended way to
store paths in this case? I don't know if its right, but I'm in the habit of
storing UNIX paths, but this doesn't work very well for network shares because
the UNIX path keeps changing because of the above. How can I store a path and
get it back in a way that takes into account the above?

Also as an aside, is there a way to have network volumes mounted for all users
at once instead of just one user at a time?