I was on the same boat a few weeks ago and I wanted to ask something similar
but I completely forgot.

I was trying to mask an image with a mask image created from a bezier path, the
idea was that I created my bezier path  then I fill EO the path so the part
that was supposed to mask I left it of white color and the rest was black, then
I created an image from that path using the UIGpraphicContext methods.  The
image was created successfully,  then I created the mask form that image
passing the bits per row, etc,  and when I apply the mask to the image I wanted
to mask I left all fine expect the part that was supposed to mask (and leave
transparent), this part was black.

After checking everything and realizing all was ok, I desisted on using CG and
used instead CALayer, I set the contents to the mask image and then CALayer has
a mask method that seemed to work fine.  But I really wanted to make it work
with CG. :(

Gustavo