I am exploring using a custom window controller for a core data document based
application and wanted to ask those more knowledgeable than myself if there are
any caveats I must consider.

Following the documentation, I am overriding NSDocument's makeWindowControllers
method in my NSPersistentDocument subclass and am initializing the window
controller here before calling addWindowController. Everything works as
expected in a simple trial run.

The critical difference is that I am not using my document subclass as the
window controller's owner, and neither will my document subclass be the
window's delegate. I am pursuing this route because the custom window
controller is based on existing code which I am integrating into my application
and which requires that the window controller itself be the nib owner and
window delegate.

My concern is that I will lose some built-in essential functionality if the
persistent document assumes that it is the owner of the nib file and the window
delegate. I don't know that it does, which is why I'm checking here. An example
is the undo functionality which is normally provided by the managed object
context in a persistent document.

Does the persistent document framework make any assumptions about the
persistent document normally owning its nib file and acting as its window
delegate which I must make up for when using a custom window controller that
takes over these two roles?