On 2011 Jun 29, at 10:11, Kyle Sluder wrote:

> -[NSRunningApplication activateWithOptions:]

Thank you, Kyle, that works.  Indeed, in Mac OS 10.6+, the code

[[NSRunningApplication currentApplication]
activateWithOptions:NSApplicationActivateIgnoringOtherApps] ;

activates the app, but only brings forward the key/main window(s), as desired.
(My actual code is longer since this app uses the 10.5 SDK.  10.5 users will
get all windows activated.)

However, Cocoa still wins.  My purpose was to show an alert-type of window (my
own custom version of NSAlert) without bringing forward a document window.
Initially, it works, but when the user clicks a button which sends -[NSWindow
close] to the alert window, the document window is brought forward, even if I
try and tell it "no" by deactivating the app…

NSLog(@"Will close alert window in 5 seconds") ;
sleep(5) ;
[NSApp deactivate] ;
[[self window] close] ;
[NSApp deactivate] ;
NSLog(@"Did close alert window.  Will continue in 5 seconds") ;
sleep(5) ;

That test shows that it's definitely -[NSWindow close] which brings the next
window forward, not -[NSApp stopModal] or -[NSApp endModalSession].